If you’re an entrepreneur or small businesses owner, you know how important marketing is when it comes to getting the word out about your business. You already know how great your product or service is, but letting everyone else know is crucial to your success.
The best way to ‘get the word out’ is through a combination of marketing, PR and social media tactics, but for the purposes of this post, we’re only going to focus on some great “do it yourself” marketing tips for small businesses:
- Freshen up your branding: If you haven’t updated your logo and business cards in a while, maybe now’s a great time to re-brand yourself by tweaking your branding materials. Always make sure your logo is eye catching and communicates what you want to say about your brand. When it comes to your business cards, think outside the box and get creative, for example, have you thought of incorporating an interactive QR Code that directs potential clients to a video that explains your products and services?
- Create a promotion or contest to generate leads: In order to attract new customers or clients, you have to flex your creative muscle to get them interested. Try running a special promotion and advertise it on your website and social media channels. You can also brainstorm ideas for a contest that would peak the interest of your target audience and motivate them to participate.
- Are you blogging? If the answer is no, then you need to start ASAP! Blogs are one of the most cost-effective marketing tools you can use and it’s a great way to provide your clients/customers/prospects with valuable information and position yourself as an authority in your niche.
- Join as many professional organizations as possible: One of the best ways to connect with people in your industry and potential clients is through professional organizations and associations. Do some research on potential organizations in your field and don’t limit yourself to physical organizations only – there are many forums online that can be just as valuable to you. Always show your value by engaging in conversations and offering feedback, doing this will demonstrate that you are an expert in your field.
- Give back: Have you ever noticed how good you feel when you do something good? Getting your business involved with a local charity, or creating your own cause will benefit you and your business tremendously. You will be able to raise your profile in your community, you’ll also develop new relationships, and most importantly, you’ll feel great about yourself!
Give these “DIY” marketing tips a try and see what works for you. And remember, these tips are only a starting point, there are tons of other ways to market and promote yourself, this is a great opportunity get your creative juices flowing!