With more and more people relying on mobile devises to access information, capitalizing on the benefits of mobile content marketing for small businesses is now more important than ever.
Mobile usage in now surpassing desktop internet usage and this is changing traditional approaches to marketing in order to reach more customers on mobile devices.
So what exactly is content marketing? This is the best definition we’ve come across: content marketing is the ability of a business to create and communicate educational information to existing and potential customers in a meaningful way that drives trust and creates a connection.
As you can see, the main goal of content marketing is to educate rather than sell; by positioning yourself and your brand as an authority aiming to educate, the selling is far more subtle, and this approach will build trust in the long-run and drive revenues.
So how can small businesses maximize the benefits of mobile content marketing? Here are some effective mobile content marketing tips:
- Quality content: Make sure that you create high quality content to attract your target audiences. Your content should always be concise and compelling – mobile users tend to have shorter attention spans and will navigate away from your content if it doesn’t hold their attention. Research your audience and get to know their likes, preferences and needs. By taking the time to get to know your audience, you will be better able to engage them with mobile content they are actually interested in.
- Optimize your content for mobile: You need to make sure your content is optimized for compatibility with mobile devices. The design and interface of your website needs to be compatible for mobile – your website and content should be just as easily accessible from a mobile device as it is on a desktop. One of the biggest limitations of a mobile device is its small screen size so your content needs to be compatible with all screen sizes and screen resolutions. If you’re using images in your content, be sure that they show up clearly on all mobile devices.
- Create a mobile app: Having a mobile compatible website is great, but you can take it one step further and create a mobile app. When designing your app the most important thing to keep in mind is user experience – the more user-friendly your app is, the more likely your content will resonate with users. Be sure to offer special incentives through your mobile app such as discounts, reward programs, and create QR codes and incorporate them in your app.
- Make your mobile content marketing social: Social media is one of the best platforms to engage your audiences with your content. Integrate your mobile social app with your social media platforms (like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram etc.) and allow users to share content directly to their social media pages. If you don’t have a mobile app, make sure your content on your mobile website has SHARE or LIKE buttons to make sharing your content as easy as possible for your users.
- Build relationships: One of the most important aspects of content marketing is that it allows you to build a relationship with your audiences over time. Encourage and nurture these relationships by keeping in contact with your mobile audiences – try using SMS messages containing personal greetings and exclusive incentives. This type of personalized interaction will make your mobile users feel special and keep them coming back for more. Be sure to give users the choice of opting out of theses offers to be sure you aren’t spamming them as that can have quite the opposite effect of what you are trying to achieve.
- Monitor your mobile engagement: Monitoring and evaluating your mobile efforts is critical to the success of your mobile content marketing efforts – knowing what you are doing well and what you can improve on greatly increases your chances of long term success. Track your efforts with analytics tools like Clicky or Flurry – these tools let you know who’s using your app and how they’re using it, you can then use this data to target your efforts more effectively.
Now that you have some great tips to help you with your mobile content marketing, it’s important to keep this in mind: like PR, content marketing can best be thought of as a marathon, not a sprint!
Content marketing is a long-term investment, one that businesses should be prepared to commit to for the long haul. And like PR, you may not immediately see the benefits of content marketing; you’ll only fully realize the value of content marketing through a consistent and sustained effort.